Sagittarius is a bit of a gypsy spirit. The guitar player in front of the fire, the camper on another stargazing journey. Which meal soothes the wandering soul more than a delicious bowl of chili? This Old Vine Zinfandel will pair perfectly with a nice, hearty chili, topped with all the fixings.
Crock Pot Chili
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15 -16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained or 1 (15 -16 ounce) can pinto beans, if desired
1. Cook beef, onion and garlic in 3 qt saucepan until beef is brown.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients except beans.
3. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low.
4. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in beans.
6. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low.
7. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
8. To freeze for OAMC: Let chili cool to room temperature and then place into quart-size freezer bag. Remove air and freeze flat on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, can be stored in freezer standing up or stacked horizontally.
9. To serve, thaw in fridge overnight and then transfer to a pot and reheat over medium low heat until heated through.